GREAT CROSSING HIGH SCHOOL
The History of Great Crossing High School
The first school in Great Crossing was a one-room limestone rock building. In April of 1913, the Scott County School Board purchased four acres of land from Willie and Kate Robinson for $1,000 in order to build a new school for the Great Crossing community. The school was a two-story building that housed mostly grade schoolers, but some high school classes. In the early 1930s, a stage and gymnasium were built and those rooms provided additional space for high school classes. The first four years high- school class graduated from Great Crossing in 1929. A new high school building was constructed and ready for occupancy in 1939. The new building, with its wide halls and indoor plumbing, was a source of joy to all the children attending. Students of Great Crossing
High School remember fondly the tremendous rapport between the faculty and students. The Great Crossing High School was used by the community until it was consolidated with the other schools to become part of Scott County High School in 1956.